Ecological packaging for cosmetics: instructions for use
Beauty is increasingly conscious. Cosmetics companies are already taking part in this change by limiting their environmental impact, both in the raw materials and production of beauty products and in the packaging used to contain them. And this same trend is even more evident in purchasing behaviour. Smart companies are already identifying environmentally friendly flexible packaging solutions to package a wide variety of cosmetics, such as creams, face masks, make-up, soaps, accessories. Here’s how.
According to the latest statistics, 75% of consumers are willing to pay more for environmentally friendly packaging.
*Source: 2020 Global buying green report – Trivium Packaging
Sustainability is the new buzzword in the world of cosmetics. A trend that should never go out of fashion and that over time has become an expression of increased awareness, both of consumers and of the brands that are building the new generation of skincare products.
To meet this dual need, we have provided small and large cosmetics brands with 3 recyclable materials to create eco-friendly packaging:
- Recyclable (PE / PE EVOH PE BL): made from 100% PE (polyethylene), it has a semi-matt opaque finish. Due to its mono-material structure, it can be recycled into plastics with recycling code 04 PE-LD;
- Transparent recyclable (PE / PE EVOH PE BL): made from 100% PE (polyethylene), it has a semi-matt transparent finish, ideal if the design includes windows on the packaging. Due to its mono-material structure, it can be recycled into plastics with recycling code 04 PE-LD;
- Recyclable Paper (PAPER / PE EVOH PE BL): made with a predominance of paper over the thin plastic barrier layer, it has a natural texture that is pleasant to the touch. Certified by the Italian association Aticelca, thanks to its structure, it can be recycled with paper waste with recycling code C/PAP 81. This solution is a viable alternative to all-paper packaging, as the EVOH barrier, also present in other recyclable materials, effectively protects the packaged product from oxygen and moisture.
Sustainable packaging for cosmetics: not just a branding opportunity
Speak clearly with your sustainable cosmetics packaging!
Today, transparency in communication with one’s customers rewards. Increasingly demanding in terms of information, consumers require clear information on the composition of packaging and how to dispose of it, and above all they want to buy from brands that reflect their values. In this sense, packaging is a valuable vehicle for communicating one’s all-round green identity. So why not provide this information and educate consumers through the packaging itself?
If the rules change...change your packaging
Digital printing technology – with no additional costs per plate – allows rapid design action, significantly limiting costs and material waste. But let us proceed with order.
The cosmetics market is constantly and rapidly changing, as are the regulations governing it. Often it is necessary to intervene with ‘last minute’ changes, concerning ingredients, certifications or other regulatory updates relating for example to the nature of packaging, an element that is mandatory on all cosmetic packaging. In this sense, digital printing is the optimal solution for keeping costs down and presenting one’s identity in a distinctive manner.
Flexible packaging for cosmetics? A truly sustainable choice!
If you are looking for a ‘complete package’ to package creams, face masks, eye patches, make-up and meet the new challenges of sustainability, flexible packaging is the ideal solution. Why?
– Save material… and recycle it: made with minimal thicknesses, the pouches limit the use of plastic and thus the energy and carbon dioxide used in the production, storage and transport processes. The correct disposal of materials also guarantees a new life for plastic or paper waste;
– Limit waste… and optimise space: the wide range of formats available and the presence of optional extras, such as the reclosable zip, make it possible to package the exact quantity of product with the possibility of opening and closing the pack, favouring consumption over time. In addition, flexible packaging allows for an exceptional packaging-to-product ratio (5 to 10 times lower than alternatives!);
– Communicate your sustainable identity… and more: the large printable area of the pouch allows you to include a lot of valuable information, including material composition and disposal information. It’s really a great way to convey information specifically about the product, but also about your brand values.
Primary or secondary packaging for cosmetics? Both!
Sustainability knows no boundaries, just like flexible packaging! Pouches, both stand up and flat, are ideal for creating perfect primary and secondary cosmetic packaging. Safe and of high quality, the materials are suitable for direct contact with the product and guarantee excellent preservation, thanks to their high oxygen and moisture barrier. The pouches are also ideal as packaging for individually wrapped cosmetics and to create multipacks.
Both small and large brands can make environmentally sustainable packaging
You have certainly realised the importance of attractive, sustainable and safe packaging for your products. Now you just have to get to work and create your own eco-friendly packaging for cosmetics. What do you say?