What does flexible packaging mean?
If you have never heard of flexible packaging, now is the time to understand what it is. Made of plastic films, also laminated with other types of material, such as aluminum and paper, flexible packaging has experienced rapid expansion in recent years, thanks to its protection and preservation capabilities.
With an extraordinarily low packaging-to-product ratio (5 to 10 times lower than other packaging categories), they are more advantageous in terms of sustainability, functionality, safety and customisation, adapting perfectly to the product to be packaged, from food to cosmetics to chemical-industrial.
But why should a company seriously consider using flexible packaging for its business?
Some good reasons to choose flexible packaging
Actually, there is not just one good reason to use flexible packaging, but loads of them:
- Preservation: maintaining shelf-life is one of the main advantages of flexible packaging, which can preserve the product over time by protecting it from oxygen, humidity and heat;
- Safety: made from raw materials that are safe for the environment and the consumer, flexible packaging is certified for food contact to the strictest standards;
- Handiness and efficiency: thanks to their compact design, flexible packs are easy to carry and store and facilitate transport and storage operations by reducing costs and CO2 emissions;
- Sustainability: lightweight and manufactured with minimal thicknesses, packs favour the circular economy by promoting material recycling.
Flexible packaging and the advantages for manufacturers
Flexible packaging has revolutionised the consumer experience for customers (and continues to do so) who are now increasingly demanding in terms of convenience, customisation and responsibility.
But for businesses that need to package their products, what are the benefits of choosing flexible packaging?
- Cost optimisation: thanks to the reduction in the amount of material used to make the packaging, there are lower production and transport costs;
- Marketing opportunities: it is possible to create customised packaging in every detail without limits in terms of design, even to promote new products or special editions all at no extra cost;
- Brand visibility: what better opportunity than packaging to convey brand values? Thanks to the broad printable surface, in addition to communicating multiple information, companies can also make the pack interactive by linking it to post-purchase marketing activities to effectively distinguish themselves from the competition.
Why flexible packaging really is a smart choice
Choosing flexible packaging to replace other types of packaging is increasingly proving to be a significant decision for companies. Imagine having the freedom to create a pack that perfectly fits the product to be packaged, without compromising on customisation and protection. All with a significant reduction in production and logistics costs. Fantastic, isn’t it? That’s why flexible packaging really is a winning choice today.
Goodbye waste: many sizes for every amount of product! Flexible packaging is available in various sizes that easily adapt to any weight or volume of packaged products;
Protection and style guaranteed: many combinations of materials! Apart from ensuring maximum protection of organoleptic properties, the materials, available in various compositions, offer different effects and aesthetics, such as matt, natural paper, metallic or glossy finishes.
A success in every market: suitable for any product. Thanks to its versatility, flexible packaging can be used in many industries: food, cosmetics, chemical-industrial, pet food, hemp. This type of packaging is ideal to protect the organoleptic properties of the product over time and, at the same time, be recognisable and distinctive in an increasingly competitive market.
For all these reasons, flexible packaging today represents the ideal choice for innovative companies.